Friday, May 9, 2014

Editor Interview with Gerald William Shaw

Gerald William Shaw has worked as a writer and editor for books, newspapers, magazines and online sites. His latest edited books include TheBlood Feud, The Blood Tie and the soon-to-be-released The Blood Trail by Shelley Young, and Vibrations: A Psychic Journey by Tammie Whalen Buckler. He is also an author and ghostwriter. 


What type of stories do you most enjoy editing? 
Right now, I like thrillers, including erotic thrillers. I’ve recently edited the novels of Shelley Young, who is getting quite a following with her Dardian Dreshaj series – The Blood Feud and The Blood Tie.

What other books have you edited? 
I’ve edited science fiction and adventure novels. The DreamChaser, a romance-adventure by Anne Higgins Petz, has been getting great reviews. I’m editing a science fiction in the young adult genre for a new writer. I just completed editing a wonderful memoir by a woman with psychic abilities, Vibrations: A Psychic Journey by Tammie Whalen Buckler. I’ve also edited a science textbook, The Young Amateur’s Guide to Radio Physics. So, I pretty much cover a wide range.

Do you work for a company or are you a freelance editor? 
I am a freelance editor. My past experience includes a position as executive editor for a small book publishing company.

What book are you most proud of having edited? 
I’d have to say The Young Amateur’s Guide to Radio Physics because I wasn’t sure I could do it, but I did to the author's delight. It’s very technical. It’s aimed at young ham radio operators who want to consider the future of using radio communication with space exploration.

What is the best book you’ve read/edited this year? 
That would be The Blood Feud by Shelley Young. She’s an amazing writer who knows how to detail thrilling action, peppered with just enough sensuality. She has completed two novels in this series and is nearly done with the third, which I will also be editing. Her fans keep waiting for the next Dardian Dreshaj novel. 

Are your rates affordable for indie authors? 
I would say my rates are very affordable for indie authors. There are a lot of good writers out there and it can be privilege to help them publish their books within their means.

How do you decide your pricing? 
I generally have set fees, but let authors know I will negotiate with people who just can’t afford the prices of some professional editors. I work out fees with new and experienced writers.

Do you have any advice for new writers? 
Write, write and keep writing. Let your imagination go. Let friends or colleagues review your work, and take their criticism. It always helps. Then write again.

When you’re not editing what do you like to do? 
I like to write myself and have authored books, including TheComplete Guide to Trust and Estate Management, a popular how-to on property management from Atlantic Publishing. I have also ghostwritten books on health, skin care and home improvement.







Twitter: @Jerosaur

No comments:

Post a Comment